YMCA of Greater Seattle Adventure Team Program Counselor in Eastsound, Washington
We have a strong commitment to equity
The Y actively promotes a culture free from bias and injustice. We are dedicated to removing institutional and systemic barriers that result in oppression and racism. We will be accountable to marginalized communities for creating equitable and sustainable environments where social justice is woven into every facet of our programs, and by caring for our communities in a culturally versatile and respectful manner.
Tell me about this job!
Adventure Team Program Counselors facilitate all of our low and high Challenge Course elements, many group initiatives, and our BMX track! All Program Counselors live in cabins with Cabin Counselors and campers, serving as a Cabin Counselor when not working in their assigned program area. During staff training, Adventure Team members complete an intensive challenge course facilitation training led by Synergo.
We are looking for applicants who have some challenge course experience, even if only as a participant, and who love helping people to push themselves and learn from their experiences. Applicants must be very safety conscious and dedicated to using good practices at all times. The ability to be physically active and spend time 30-60 feet off the ground is also important. Adventure Team Program Counselors perform other duties as assigned and are led by the Adventure Team Unit Director.
Compensation for this position is currently under review; Camping & Outdoor Leadership salary rates will increase once the Y's 2022 budgeting process is complete.
To learn more about working with Camp & Outdoor Leadership at the Y, please visit us online at www.campingandoutdoorleadership.org
What you'll get from working at The Y
Membership to the YMCA of Greater Seattle for you and your household
Free access to mental health resources
Rapidly-accruing paid time off (PTO) available immediately upon hire
Discounts on qualifying YMCA of Greater Seattle childcare and day camp programs
*Some benefits only available to full-time staff
The YMCA of Greater Seattle is committed to providing a positive atmosphere that prioritizes safety and inclusivity for all employees. The YMCA of Greater Seattle has implemented safety standards and protocols related to preventative health measures based on CDC and local health department guidelines. YGS will comply with all WA State mandates regarding COVID vaccinations. All YGS staff will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID by November 1, 2021 regardless of work location. Religious and Medical Exemptions will be considered at time of hire.
What you'll be doing
1. 1. Supervises a group of campers and staff. Ensures that all staff are accounting for campers and safety at all times.2. Plans, schedules, and facilitates program activities that are developmentally appropriate and which promote camper skill and character development, e.g. unit and cabin activities and discovery clinics.3. Maintains safety and cleanliness standards. Takes special note of individual camper/staff health needs or concerns on a daily basis. Shares cleaning duties with fellow staff.4. Ensures that counselors are planning and organizing activities.5. Communicates personal or camper/staff needs to supervisor in a timely manner.6. Maintains equipment in sound and safe order.7. Attends meeting and trainings.8. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention, program and equipment inspection written documentation, and emergencies.9. Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates at a seasonal residential camp, both inside and outdoors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift store or janitorial products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This seasonal camp position is exempt from minimum wage and overtime regulations per State of Washington wage and hour law.
This position is required to live onsite at camp. All travel required for work will be done by YMCA Authorized Drivers.
What we're looking for in an applicant
19 years of age or older
Current Wilderness First Responder strongly preferred. Documented knowledge of challenge courses and current safety standards and practices.
Demonstrate working knowledge of belaying, rappelling, knots, and rescue techniques.
Ability to participate in activities that involve rigorous physical activity in an outdoor setting including, but not limited to hiking, boating, camping, and swimming.
If applicable, "Other combinations of applicable education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered."
- Current state approved first aid certification
- Current state approved CPR certification
- One or more years of college preferred. Other applicable education, training, and experience, which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position will be considered.
- Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.). Ability to speak any language in addition to English may be helpful.
Building a community where all people, especially the young, are encouraged to develop their fullest potential in spirit, mind, and body.
YMCA of Greater Seattle's Core Values
Passion for Excellence
YGS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and equitable work environment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran , or any other status protected by local, state , or federal law.
All job offers are contingent on the results of a background check. We participate in the Federal E-Verify system.
Job Locations US-WA-Eastsound
Posted Date 3 weeks ago (11/18/2021 6:56 PM)
# of Openings 20
Location YMCA Camp Orkila
Category Resident Camp
Address 484 Camp Orkila Rd
Minimum compensation USD $45.82/Da.